Motorcycle Rental Terms and Conditions
Motocycle Rental Requirements
- 21 years of age or older
- 3 years riding experience on a same-size motorcycle
- Valid motorcycle license (must be present at time of pick-up)
- Damage deposit on Visa or Mastercard ($250 for scooters, $1000 for KLR, $2000 for BMW)
- You MUST HAVE roadside assistance for your own motorcycle recovery. (Check AMA, BMWMOA or others.)
A $500 per motorcycle non refundable deposit is due at the time of booking to reserve your motorcycles. For rentals 20 days and longer we require a $1000 deposit. If the total cost of the motorcycle rentals is less than $500 ($1000 for 20 days), the full amount of rental will be considered the deposit. The deposit will be applied to the total cost of the rental. The total balance for the rental is due 30 days prior to pickup. No refunds for early returns.
A damage deposit is taken on a Visa or MasterCard. We do not charge the card, we simply authorize it. The authorization is released upon return and inspection of the motorcycle. Sorry, no debit cards!
- $1,000 for Yamaha XT225, Yamaha XT250, Kawasaki KLR 650, Suzuki DL650
- $2,000 for BMW 650GS, BMW 800GS, BMW 1200GS, BMW 1200GS Adventure, BMW R1200RT
- $250 for Yamaha C3 and Zuma Scooters
Payment for Damages to Motorcycle
Upon returning the motorcycle to MotoQuest, the renter gives authorization to MotoQuest to charge their card on file to pay for any damages done by the renter during the rental period. This charge will be done automatically.
Motorcycle Recovery: Alaska
Our recovery area in Alaska stretches to Fairbanks in the North and Tok on the East. Any recovery or new bike delivery within this sphere is included with your rental cost if our bike malfunctions. In cases where it is the renters fault for the bike being unable to continue, then the rider will be charged a recovery fee of $3 per mile (local towing companies charge $6 per mile). If your motorcycle needs to be recovered or replaced for ANY REASON north of Fairbanks, the recovery fee will be based on $3 per mile (again, local towing companies charge $6 per mile). If your bike needs to be recovered or replaced for ANY REASON east of Tok to the Canadian border whether you be on the Alaska Highway or the Top of the World (Taylor) Highway is also $3 per mile.
Motorcycle Recovery: California
Our recovery area in California includes the entire state. Any recovery or new bike delivery within this sphere is included with your rental cost if our bike malfunctions. In cases where it is the renters fault for the bike being unable to continue, then the rider will be charged a recovery fee of $3 per mile.
Motorcycle Recovery: Oregon
Our recovery area in Oregon includes the entire state. Any recovery or new bike delivery within this sphere is included with your rental cost if our bike malfunctions. In cases where it is the renters fault for the bike being unable to continue, then the rider will be charged a recovery fee of $3 per mile.
Damages to Motorcycle: Tires
MotoQuest is not responsible for punctured or damaged tires due to road conditions. MotoQuest will be happy to advise you where to get repairs, however, MotoQuest is not responsible for service and replacement of tires.
Prudhoe Bay Rentals from Anchorage: 6 Day Minimum Rental
MotoQuest Tours Rules for Travel to Prudhoe Bay
- No discounts multi-day or otherwise apply to Prudhoe Bay bound rentals.
- All Motorcycles bound for Prudhoe Bay originating in Anchorage are subject to an additional $500.00 surcharge.
- You MUST have off-road or dirt riding experience
- You MUST be comfortable with the following maintenance procedures and simple repairs on the bike you are riding. The renter is ultimately responsible for their motorcycle during the rental period. Riders will be held accountable for all damages to the motorcycle due to lack of motorcycle maintenance. MotoQuest Tours will provide you with the basic tools and parts you may need
- Check and adjust tire pressure
- Flush the radiator with water daily or whenever it becomes caked with mud
- Check oil level and top off as necessary
- Lubricate the chain and adjust tension
- Be able to repair a flat tire
- You MUST NOT spend more than 12 hours a day riding
You MUST overnight in the following places on the way to Prudhoe Bay
- Overnight in Fairbanks Area
- Overnight between Fairbanks and Deadhorse (Coldfoot is a good option) Coldfoot Camp
- Overnight in Deadhorse at Deadhorse Camp Hotel
- Same rules on the way back; the riders who get hurt on the Dalton are typically the ones who have been riding too long and are mentally and physically fatigued.
- It should take you 6 days minimum to get to Deadhorse and back to Anchorage.
One-Way Motorcycle Rentals
Drop Off Fee
All One-Way Rentals are subject to a $100 One-way drop-off surcharge.
Compulsorary Road-Side Assistance:
- AMA Road-Side Assistance
- BMWMOA Road-Side Assistance
Minimum Time Requirements for each One-Way Motorcycle Rental:
- Anchorage - Seattle Minimum 8 days
- Anchorage - Portland Minimum 9 days
- Anchorage - Long Beach Minimum 11 days
- Long Beach - Portland Minimum 3 days
- Long Beach - Seattle Minimum 4 days
When renting from MotoQuest, there are four Insurance Options. One is compulsory, the last three are optional.
- *Compulsory Insurance (Standard Coverage for BMWs only) $15 per day
- *SLI (Supplemental Liability Insurance) $5.95 per day (Optional)
- *LDW (Loss Damage Waiver) $15 per day on our rentals lowers your maximum exposure for motorcycle replacement to $1,000. (Please note that the LDW does not cover personal property damage or bodily injury.)
- *LDWE (Loss Damage Waiver Enhanced) $50 per day eliminates your maximum exposure for the motorcycle. (Please note that the LDWE does not cover personal property damage or bodily injury.)
Compulsory Insurance (BMWs only):
This is standard coverage which is compulsory for any BMW rental. The cost is $15 per riding day. This provides the state minimum liability coverage of $15,000 for each person, $30,000 bodily injury for each accident, and 5,000 property damage for each accident. In addition this also provides $500 medical coverage for the rider. With this basic insurance your deductible for damages to the motorcycle stand at $2500.
SLI (Supplemental Liability Insurance) provides you with the following benefits:
When you accept S.L.I. the policy may provide you with excess coverage for the difference between that provided in your rental agreement (minimum requirement is the state financial responsibility mandated by the applicable insurance jurisdiction) and $300,000. Property Damage limitation is $50,000 on any claim and this limit is included in the liability limit of $300,000. Policy limits are in excess of any/all valid and collectible underlying insurance. If there is any other valid and collectible insurance in effect (i.e. personal automobile liability coverage) then the available protection under the S.L.I. coverage would be reduced by the amount of the underlying insurance.
LDW (Loss Damage Waiver) for RENTALS and US TOURS:
Our optional Loss Damage Waiver (LDW) is $15.00 per riding day. When you purchase this agreement, you will be responsible for only the first $1,000 of the bike damages in case of a crash or theft. If you decline this option you are responsible for all of the damages. (Please note that the LDW does not cover personal property damage or bodily injury.) The renter must comply with the terms and conditions in the Rental Agreement. We recommend that you contact your motorcycle insurance carrier to see if you are covered for rental motorcycles.
LDWE (Loss Damage Waiver Enhanced) for RENTALS and US TOURS:
Our optional Loss Damage Waiver Enhanced (LDWE) is $50.00 per riding day. When you purchase this agreement, you will not be responsible for any bike damages in case of a crash or theft. If you decline this option and the standard LDW you are responsible for all of the damages. (Please note that the LDWE does not cover personal property damage or bodily injury.) The renter must comply with the terms and conditions in the Rental Agreement. We recommend that you contact your motorcycle insurance carrier to see if you are covered for rental motorcycles.
LDW (Loss Damage Waiver) for International TOURS:
We do not sell our Loss Damage Waiver on Tours that do not use MotoQuest rentals. If the local operator offers an equivalent option we will make this apparent on the Tour specific page. Riders participating in Tours using bikes not owned by MotoQuest are fully responsible to the local operator for damages of theft of the Motorcycle.
Vehicle Rental Tax (Compulsory):
- Washington - 8.6%
- California - 8.75%
Canadian Residents Rentals:
Temporary Importation of U.S.-Based Rental Vehicles 10. Residents of Canada may temporarily import a U.S.-based rental vehicle for non-commercial purposes, under Customs Tariff Item No. 9993.00.00 under the following conditions (a) After an absence of 48 hours or more, full duty and taxes relief for a period of up to 30 days; (b) After an absence of less than 48 hours, GST/HST will be calculated on a fixed value determined by Regulations on a weekly basis for a period of up to 30 days. (c) Weekly fixed monetary values for the following types of vehicles: (i) $200 for cars, motorcycles and ATV; (ii) $300 for pickup trucks, sport utility vehicles and vans including minivans, camping trailers, fifth wheel trailers and trucks up to 10 tonnes or similar vehicles; and (iii) $1,000 for recreational vehicles, such as motor homes. 11. Where GST/HST applies on these rental vehicles, the GST/HST rate applicable will be that of the province/territory where the vehicle enters Canada, whether or not the importer is a resident of that province/territory. 12. This reduced tax treatment will apply only to U.S.-based rental vehicles temporarily imported for a period not exceeding 30 days. This applies for non-commercial purposes only.
At the time of reservation a $1,000 deposit is due to guarantee your spot on the tour. The deposit will be applied to the total price of the tour. The balance is due 60 days prior to tour departure date. We accept Paypal, personal checks, Visa, MasterCard and money orders (sorry, we do not accept American Express or Discover).
Alaska Self Guided Tours
MotoQuest Self-Guided Tours Service in Alaska includes:
- Airport Pick-up/Drop-off (during our business hours)
- Copy of "The Adventurous Motorcyclist's Guide to Alaska"
- Telephone and e-mail support planning your trip and while you are on the road
- Alaska Road Map
- Motorcycle Rental
- 7-day a week Road-Side Assistance
- MotoQuest T-Shirt and Hat!
Self Guided Experience Includes
- Accommodations reservations and payments.
$500 Deposit required per bike at time of booking. 20 day rentals or longer require a $1000 deposit. Balance is due 60 Days Prior to Self-Guided Tour Start Date.
To Register and Book your Self-Guided Tour:
All Self Guided Tours are custom, and the best way we can agree on an itinerary that works for you, is a discussion over the phone: Please CALL 1(907)272-2777 or 1 (800) 756-1990